Australian Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) subclass 482 visa

What is an Australian Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) visa?

The TSS visa has 2 streams:

Short Term Stream - this visa stream enables employers to address short term labour shortages by recruiting skilled employees when they have been unable to source candidates from within Australia. You must nominate an occupation on the Short Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) and can be granted a visa for up to 2 years which can be renewed for a further 2 years. There is no transition to permanent residence for applicants granted a visa under this stream whose maximum stay period is 4 years.

Medium Term Stream - this visa enables employers to recruit skilled workers for up to 4 years when they have been unable to source candidates from within Australia. You must have an occupation on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or Regional Occupations List (ROL). There is provision for applicants to apply for permanent residence via the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) or via the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)) via Direct Entry at any time or through transition after you have worked for your employer for 3 years.

How can I apply for a Temporary Skilled Shortage visa for Australia?

There are 3 stages to the visa process:

Standard Business Sponsorship

To be approved as a Standard Business Sponsor the business must:

•    Be lawfully and actively operating in Australia
•    Show a commitment to training Australian citizens and permanent residents
•    Be compliant with workplace and other Australian laws


An employer must nominate a skilled position within their business and demonstrate that the position is genuine and cannot be filled from within the Australian labour market. Approval of the nomination will require the employer to meet the following:

•    Test the labour market by placing 2 advertisements for a minimum period of 28 days
•    Offer a salary remuneration (TSMIT) of at least A$70,000 plus superannuation
•    Ensure the salary is within the market rate for the position offered
•    Pay a Skilling Australian Fund (SAF)

Visa application

Once the sponsorship and nomination has been approved the final stage is for the employee to submit an application who must:

•    Have qualifications relevant to those specified in the nomination
•    Have a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience
•    Have relevant English language skills
•    Obtain a satisfactory skills assessment (if required)
•    Provide evidence of registration or licensing (if applicable)
•    Meet health and character requirements

Spouses/partners and dependent children can be included in the TSS visa application and will have unrestricted work and study rights.

What services can I expect to receive from Concept Australia?

Concept Australia has been assisting people since 1991 to obtain temporary work visas for Australia.  All of our staff are based permanently in the UK and have previously been employed by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). Concept Australia works directly with its clients and does not sub-contract work out to other companies or individuals. The visa process requires sponsorship and nomination approval before you can apply for a subclass 482 visa. Concept Australia will take responsibility for the entire management of your subclass 482 visa application so as to ensure that your case runs as smoothly as possible.

Our services include:

•    A zoom or telephone consultation to explain each stage of the 482 visa process
•    Liaison with your employer to assist with the sponsorship and nomination process
•    Electronic completion of all forms
•    Overview of items needed to support the sponsorship, nomination and visa application
•    Attaching all relevant documents to the ImmiAccount
•    Management of your application with the DHA until your visa is granted

Why should I only use an agent registered with MARA?

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA) is managed by the DHA who is responsible for monitoring the conduct of registered migration agents both in and outside Australia. MARA approves continuing professional development activities of all registered agents to ensure they maintain up-to-date knowledge of migration law and procedure so that only the highest level of advice and assistance is provided to prospective applicants.

The DHA strongly advise that if you need assistance with the visa process that you should only appoint an agent who is registered with the MARA. A person who is not registered cannot offer you legal protection and you run the risk of being exposed to migration fraud by someone who has limited knowledge on immigration procedures and who is not accountable for his/her actions.

How much does it cost to apply for a subclass 482 visa?

Fees charged by the Department of Home Affairs

•    Sponsorship application charge – AUD420
•    Nomination charge – AUD330 per nomination
•    Visa application (Short Term Stream) – AUD1150 (adult) and AUD290 (child)
•    Visa application (Medium Term Stream) – AUD2400 (adult) AUD600 (child)

Fees payable to Concept Australia

Fees charged by Concept Australia will be determined by our involvement with the sponsorship, nomination and visa application stages and whether the sponsor is based in Australia or overseas. Once we have assessed the requirements of both the sponsor and applicant, a detailed estimate will be issued setting out our fees and the services you can expect to receive from Concept Australia.  

The most Frequently Asked Questions we receive from subclass 482 applicants are:

•    What is the difference between a subclass 482 and subclass 400 visa?
•    Would I be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Australia?
•    Could I be eligible if I only have work experience?
•    Will I need to undergo a skills assessment?
•    Is there a minimum salary that my employer has to pay me?
•    Will my employer need to undertake labour market testing?
•    What happens if I change employers?
•    Can I work in a different position to the one specified in the nomination?
•    Can I get health care in Australia or do I need private insurance?
•    Can my spouse work in Australia?
•    Can I apply for a subclass 482 visa if I am in Australia?
•    Is there an age limit applied to 482 visa applicants?

If these are the type of questions you are asking, it is time to talk to Concept Australia.

Telephone our TSS 482 visa specialist for more information

If you would like to know more about the TSS 482 visa process and how the migration regulations will be applied to you and your prospective employer, please telephone Concept Australia on 020 8315 6700 and talk to our specialist, Jane Smith or complete the Enquiry form below and submit your details to Concept Australia.




> Make an Enquiry

What visa options are there?

Choose the best option for you:



Can I purchase property in Australia?

Second-hand properties

Temporary residents may acquire one established (second-hand) property only for use as their own residence in Australia. Approval must be obtained from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) which usually is granted subject to conditions (such as, the owner sells the property when it ceases to be their residence). Temporary residents are not permitted to buy established dwellings as investment properties.

New Dwellings

A ‘new dwelling’ is a dwelling which is being purchased directly from the developer and has not been previously occupied for more than 12 months in total. Temporary residents need to apply to the FIRB to buy new dwellings in Australia which are normally approved without conditions.

Vacant Land

Temporary residents must also apply to the FIRB to purchase vacant land for residential development. These applications are normally approved subject to conditions (such as, that ongoing construction begins within 24 months).

What is the minimum market salary rate for a Temporary Skill Shortage subclass 482 employee?

The Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TMSIT) is set at A$53,900 which ensures that employees will have enough money to be self-reliant while they are in Australia. Sponsors must demonstrate that the market salary rate for the position they are seeking to fill is greater than the TSMIT which is compared to the market salary rate for the nominated occupation, not the nominated worker's proposed salary. The market salary rate for the position must exceed the TSMIT and the employer cannot inflate a nominated worker's proposed salary to meet the TSMIT requirement. The sponsor, however is not required to demonstrate payment of the market salary rate if the proposed annual earnings of the worker is at least AUD180 000.


Can I sponsor a relative?

No, as the visa granted is Temporary, you are not permitted to sponsor relatives.


What is the difference between a subclass 400 and the Temporary Skill Shortage subclass 482 visa?

The subclass 400 visa is for applicants with specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can assist an Australian business to do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work.  A Temporary Skill Shortage subclass 482 visa is for applicants with specific skills to fill labour shortages in Australia for a period of up to 4 years. 


What are the approved occupations for a Temporary Skill Shortage 482 visa?

All companies must nominate a skilled applicant in an occupation that features on the Department of Home Affairs Skilled occupations list. 

How do I know whether I have the right skill requirements?

In order for the company to sponsor an applicant under a TSS 482 visa, you must show that you have the skills and experience necessary to work in the nominated occupation. Concept Australia will provide you with a list of evidence that you can submit in order to support your application. 


Will I need a skills assessment for a Temporary Skill Shortage Subclass 482 visa?

If applying for a Temporary Skill Shortage subclass 482 visa and your nominated occupation is a trade occupation, you might need to do a skills assessment depending on your country of passport. If your nominated occupation is 'Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified', you will need to a skills assessment for migration purposes.


Will I need to get registration or licensing before I arrive in Australia?

If requested by your visa processing case officer, you must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that you hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation.  


Do I need to undertake an English Language test?

It is important that you can speak, write and understand a sufficient level of English while you are in Australia.  A higher level of English might be required for certain occupations where it is a requirement for registration, licensing or membership in Australia.  Concept Australia will be able to advise you on whether you are required to undertake an English Language Test depending on what country passport you hold and what occupation you are nominating. 


Do I need to undertake a medical examination?

You must meet certain health requirements.  The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months. 


Do I need to arrange health insurance?

You must provide evidence that you have made adequate arrangements for health insurance during the period of your intended stay in Australia before your visa can be granted. Health insurance from either an Australia or overseas provider is acceptable and will be considered adequate as long as the policy provides at least the minimum cover required by the DIBP.

Australia has a reciprocal health care agreement with the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland,, The Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Belgium, Italy, Malta, Slovenia and New Zealand and citizens of these countries are eligible to be enrolled with Medicare. If you are outside Australia when you lodge your visa application and cannot produce a Medicare card or receipt, you should make arrangements for travel or health insurance for the initial period of your stay in Australia and then enrol with Medicare after arrival in Australia. Please note, however, that as the holder of a temporary 457 visa you will only have access to emergency and necessary treatment and therefore you should take out private health insurance to cover you for medical expenses during your stay in Australia.




Can I still get a visa for Australia if I have a criminal conviction?

You must meet certain character requirements to be able to be granted a visa for Australia.  If you have a criminal conviction, you must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. You should not apply for a police certificate unless requested by Concept Australia.


Can I include my family members in my visa application?

Yes, you can include your partner, your or your partner’s dependent children and other dependent relatives.  These family members must meet certain requirements including health and character and show that they have the same levels of financial support and health insurance as you.  Your sponsor must agree in writing to include them as secondary sponsored persons.


What are the benefits of using a MARA registered migration agent?

The decision to engage a migration agent is a personal choice which will depend on the complexity of your visa application and whether you are confident that you have fully understood all the rules and regulations which will be applied to your case.

If you do need assistance with the visa process, the Department of Home Affairs strongly recommend that you appoint an agent who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). A registered migration agent must satisfy a strict code of conduct and:

  • maintain current knowledge of migration law and procedure
  • keep a professional library with direct access to migration regulations via Legend
  • undertake continuous professional development in order to maintain knowledge of migration regulations and policy


An agent who is not registered with MARA cannot offer you any legal protection and is not accountable for his/her actions and therefore might:

  • make false claims about your chances of success
  • give you incorrect advice
  • have limited knowledge about current Australian visa legislation and procedures
  • increase your risk of being exposed to migration fraud
  • charge fees which are unreasonable and excessive.
What happens if my sponsor ends my employment?

If your sponsor ends your employment, you have 60 days to either:

  • find another employer to sponsor you
  • apply for a different visa
  • leave Australia within 60 days, or before your visa expires, whichever comes first.


Temporary Skilled Shortage (subclass 482) Enquiry Form

If you have been offerd a job in Australia and your employer has agreed to sponsor you, please complete and submit the form below. The information you provide will be treated in confidence and will not be stored onto a data-base or distributed to third parties.

Concept Australia will contact you to discuss your circumstances and to explain the visa process together with costs for submitting an application for a Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (subclass 482) for Australia.



What our clients are saying

Thank you for your friendly professional advice during our visa application. We are sure this was the key factor for us being granted our visas.  Such a quality service seems to be a rare thing nowadays.