Parent Visas

Concept Australia has been successfully assisting parents to live in Australia with their children and grandchildren for more than 20 years.

When you contact Concept Australia, an experienced staff member will provide you with an honest appraisal of your potential eligibility to be granted a parent visa for Australia. If you would like to know how we can assist you in obtaining your parent visa, please telephone Concept on 0208 315 6700 or scroll down to the bottom of this page to complete and submit the confidential enquiry form to Concept Australia.     

Am I eligible to apply for an Australian Contributory Parent visa?

A Contributory Parent visa enable parents to live permanently in Australia with their child(ren) who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen settled in Australia. To be eligible you must satisfy the Balance of Family test which requires you to have at least half of your children living in Australia permanently or more children living in Australia permanently than any other country. You must also be sponsored by your child who is settled in Australia.

The most Frequently Asked Questions we receive from Parent visa applicants are:

1.    What children are counted in the balance of family test?
2.    Is my son or daughter in Australia eligible to sponsor me?
3.    Can I visit Australia whilst my application is being processed?
4.    Would the new temporary parent visa (subclass 870) be a better option?

What visa classes can I choose from?

Your visa options will be determined by your age, your financial position and whether you meet the Balance of Family test.

Offshore visa - sub-classes 143/173

The Contributory Parent visa subclass 143 is a permanent visa but you also have the option of applying for a Contributory Parent (Temporary visa) – subclass 173, which provides a two-stage pathway, allowing the costs to be staggered. If you select the temporary option the DHA Visa Application Charge will be more expensive and you will need to apply for permanent residence within 2 years from the date of your arrival in Australia.

Onshore visas - sub-classes 864/884

If you are old enough to qualify for an Age Pension in Australia you have the option to apply for an Aged Contributory Parent visa. Parents who select this visa option must be in Australia when the visa application is lodged and decided. 

Am I eligible to apply for an Australian Temporary Sponsored Parent visa?

Temporary Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870)

A total of 15,000 visas will be made available in each programme year which is twice the number currently allocated to Contributory Parents. The cost for applying for the visa will be AUD5,000 for a 3 year visa and AUD10,000 for a 5 year visa with the sponsor having to pay AUD420 to lodge their sponsorship. Parents can stay for a period of up to 5 years but must depart Australia for 90 days to be eligible to apply for a further stay of 5 years.

The approximate processing timetable for this visa is 4 months.

Parents applying for a subclass 870 visas:

•    Must lodge their application within 60 days of the sponsorship being approved;
•    Can stay in Australia for up to 5 years without departing;
•    Can apply for a further stay of 5 years after departing Australia for 90 days;
•    Can stay in Australia for a cumulative maximum 10 year period;
•    Cannot apply for a further subclass 870 visa after 10 years;
•    Are not subject to the Balance of Family Test;
•    Cannot work in Australia;
•    Must arrange and maintain private medical insurance for their entire stay in Australia;
•    Must satisfy health and character requirements;
•    Need to be outside Australia when applying (unless permission is given by the DHA);
•    Can be inside or outside Australia when the visa is granted.


Only 2 parents per household can be sponsored for a subclass 870 visa at a time.

Sponsors must:

•    Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen;
•    Have usually been resident in Australia for at least 4 years;
•    Have their sponsorship approved before their parent’s visa application is lodged;
•    Meet a minimum household income threshold of A$ 83,454.80 in the most recent tax year;
•    Have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia;
•    Accept liability for any outstanding public health debt their parent accrues in Australia;
•    Provide police clearances as evidence of good character;
•    Provide financial support and accommodation for their parents if needed.

What services can I expect to receive from Concept Australia?

Our services include:

  •   A personal or SKYPE appointment to assess your eligibility and to answer your questions
  •   Certification of your documents by the Registered Migration Agent
  •   Electronic completion of application and sponsorship forms
  •   Liaising with your son or daughter (sponsor) in Australia
  •   Advice on health and character issues (if applicable)
  •   Management of your application at the Parent Visa Centre (PVC) throughout the visa process

Why should I only use an agent registered with MARA?

The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA) is managed by the DHA who is responsible for monitoring the conduct of registered migration agents both in and outside Australia. MARA approves continuing professional development activities of all registered agents to ensure they maintain up-to-date knowledge of migration law and procedure so that only the highest level of advice and assistance is provided to prospective applicants.

The DHA strongly advise that if you need assistance with the visa process that you should only appoint an agent who is registered with the MARA. A person who is not registered cannot offer you legal protection and you run the risk of being exposed to migration fraud by someone who has limited knowledge on immigration procedures and who is not accountable for his/her actions.

How much does it cost to apply for a Contributory Parent visa?

The costs associated with Parent visas are expensive as parents will generally be more frequent users of the health services in Australia. DHA visa costs vary depending on whether a parent applies for a permanent or temporary visa. A husband and wife applying for a permanent visas will pay combined Visa Application Charges of AUD92,755 but if the 2 stage option is selected will pay AUD101,790 in total in order to be granted permanent residence. Parents also have to arrange an Assurance of Support which attracts a payment of AUD10, 000 for the primary applicant and AUD4, 000 for the spouse.

Concept Australia charges a total fee of £1,300 to manage your application until your visa is granted which is payable in 2 equal instalments:

1.    Payable on engagement of our services
2.    On lodgement of your application with the Parent Visa Centre (PVC) in Perth

How long will it take for my Parent visa to be granted?

  • Subclass 143 and 864 applications lodged in May 2016 are being processed by the PVC;
  • Subclass 173 and 884  applications lodged in May 2016 are being processed by the PVC;
  • Subclass 870 - approximately 4- 6 months

Contact us for an initial confidential assessment

If you would like to know how we can assist you in obtaining a parent visa for Australia, please complete the Enquiry form below and submit your details to Concept Australia or send an email to or telephone 0208 315 6700.


> Make an Enquiry

What visa options are there?

Choose the best option for you:



What children are counted in the Parent visa for Australia Balance of Family test?

Parents must have at least half of their children living in Australia permanently or more children living in Australia permanently than any other single country.

The following children of both parents are counted in the balance of family test:

  • children from previous marriages or de-facto relationships
  • adopted and stepchildren
  • children residing in institutions
  • children who are dependent or self-supporting, single, married or divorced
Can I lodge an Aged Contributory Parent visa application in Australia?

Aged Contributory Parents who are eligible to lodge an application in Australia (sub-classes 864 and 884) must be inside Australia at the time their application is lodged and also when their visas are granted. Please note that parents who have applied for an extended validity subclass 600 visa may be subject to a "No Further Stay" (8503) condition which means they will not be able to lodge an onshore visa application. Aged parents who lodge an application onshore will be granted a Bridging A visa which will come into effect when the stay period of their visitor visa expires allowing them to remain lawfully in Australia until their application is decided.

Aged parents who choose to travel to Australia to lodge their visa application will need to consider before making any long-term commitments: 

  • Whether they could be challenged on arrival in Australia for not being a genuine visitor
  • That they have yet to be assessed against health and character criteria
  • Any customs implications for importing personal effects if they do not have Australian resident status.
Can my application for a Contributory Parent visa for Australia be processed sooner?

Applications are processed in the order they are received and there is little scope to process applications earlier.

There are a significant number of applications awaiting assessment and the number of places allocated by the Minister in each program year is considerably less than applications submitted for all visa sub-classes 143, 173, 864 and 884.

Parents can generally expect to wait approximately 5 years for their application to be decided.

Can I travel to Australia while my Parent visa application is being processed?

Currently, travel restrictions are in place to protect the health of the Australian community during the coronavirus pandemic and parents will not be permitted to travel to Australia for tourism purposes and to see their family.

When the situation returns to normal, you may apply for other visas while your application is being processed. You can be considered for a visa allowing for a maximum stay of 12 months out of 18 months and Concept Australia will be pleased to provide advice and assistance should you decide to visit Australia. Please note that as you were outside Australia when your application was lodged, you must also be outside Australia when your visa is granted. Concept Australia will advise you when to make arrangements to depart Australia which should be for a minimum of 5 working days.


Do I have to travel to Australia by a certain date?

Once you have received advice that your visa has been granted, you will be advised of your ‘initial entry date’ which will be 12 months from the date of the grant of your visa.


Can I undergo health checks before I lodge my application for a Contributory Parent visa?

Your radiological and medical examinations must be carried out by an approved panel doctor who will need you to provide a HAP identity number when making the appointment. You will be advised of your HAP ID at the time instructions are issued by the case officer at the Parent Visa Centre in Perth.

What is an Australian Assurance of Support?

An assurance of support is a legal commitment to give you financial support so that you do not have to rely on social security payments. The assurance covers you and any family members included in your application and can be an organisation, your sponsor or another person. Up to three people can agree to give you a joint assurance of support.

An assurer must give you financial assistance for ten years and repay any recoverable social security payments you receive in the first ten years of living in Australia. The assurer must lodge a bond of A$10,000 for the main applicant and AUD4000 for the spouse. The bond is refunded ten years after you are granted this visa. Any debts to the government are deducted from the bond and only the balance is refunded.

What are the benefits of using a MARA registered migration agent?

The decision to engage a migration agent is a personal choice which will depend on the complexity of your visa application and whether you are confident that you have fully understood all the rules and regulations which will be applied to your case.

If you do need assistance with the visa process, the Department of Home affairs strongly recommend that you appoint an agent who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). A registered migration agent must satisfy a strict code of conduct and:

  • maintain current knowledge of migration law and procedure
  • keep a professional library with direct access to migration regulations via Legend
  • undertake continuous professional development in order to maintain knowledge of migration regulations and policy


An agent who is not registered with MARA cannot offer you any legal protection and is not accountable for his/her actions and therefore might:

  • make false claims about your chances of success
  • give you incorrect advice
  • have limited knowledge about current Australian visa legislation and procedures
  • increase your risk of being exposed to migration fraud
  • charge fees which are unreasonable and excessive.

Contributory Parent Enquiry Form

If you are considering applying for a Contributory Parent visa for Australia, please complete and submit the form below. The information you provide will be treated in confidence and will not be stored onto a data-base or distributed to third parties.

Concept Australia will contact you to discuss your circumstances and to explain the visa process together with costs for submitting an application for a Contributory Parent visa for Australia.




South Australia opens offshore subclass 491 nomination program

South Australia has commenced inviting selected professional and trade applicants under its regional subclass 491 Skilled Worker Program.


What our clients are saying

Jane, I just wanted to thank you. My Dad was in a state of disbelief when I told him his visa had been granted. My brother had only just advised him that he probably would not be granted his visa in time and therefore we are all delighted with the outcome.