Partner Visas for Australia

Partner Visa Application for Australia

•    Am I eligible to apply for an Australian Partner visa?
•    How can C
oncept Australia help me apply?
•    What services can I expect to receive from Concept Australia?
•    Why should I use a professional MARA registered migration agent?
•    What subclasses of this visa type exist?
•    How much does it cost to apply for a Partner visa for Australia?
•    How long will it take for my visa to be granted?
•    Preliminary Assessment of your eligibility
•    SKYPE or personal consultations

Am I eligible to apply for an Australian Partner visa?

Partner visas are for applicants who are in a marital or de-facto relationship (including those in a same-sex relationship) or who are engaged to be married to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen. If you are a partner of a New Zealand Citizen who is not an eligible New Zealand Citizen, you can apply for a subclass 461 temporary visa.

How can Concept Australia help me apply?

The most Frequently Asked Questions we receive from Partner applicants are:
1.    Have I got sufficient evidence to document my relationship history?
2.    What documents should I submit in support of my relationship?
3.    How many documents should I submit?
4.    Which relationship documents carry the most weight?

It is our experience that many applicants waste time, energy and money assembling far too many documents which in most cases will be discarded by Department of Home Affairs case officers. To be eligible for a partner visa, it is not sufficient for you to simply show that you are married or in a de-facto relationship. You must also demonstrate that your relationship with your spouse is genuine, continuing and mutually exclusive. If you fail to demonstrate that you are in such a relationship you may be a refused a visa regardless of whether you are married or in a de-facto relationship.  For peace of mind we can offer you the benefit of our knowledge and experience so as to ensure your application is completed accurately and is supported with relevant documents which carry the most weight when determining your relationship history.  

What services can I expect to receive from Concept Australia?

Concept Australia has been assisting people since 1991 to obtain visas to reside in Australia.  All of our staff are based permanently in the UK and have previously been employed by the Department of Home Affairs. Concept Australia works directly with its clients and does not sub-contract work out to other companies or individuals. We will take responsibility for the entire management of your application so as to ensure that your case runs as smoothly as possible. Our services include:

•    A personal or SKYPE appointment to assess your eligibility
•    Electronic completion of application and sponsorship forms
•    Overview of evidence needed to prove relationship history
•    Advice and assistance with the structure of relationship statements
•    Attaching all relevant documents to the ImmiAccount
•    Advice on health and character issues (if applicable)
•    Australian citizenship advice and assistance for dependent children
•    Advice regarding the removal of a dependent child from a previous relationship
•    Advice regarding a dependent child remaining with a non-migrating parent
•    Management of your application until your application is decided

Why should I use a professional MARA agent?

Registered Migration Agents are skilled people who must meet professional standards, follow the code of conduct and maintain up-to-date knowledge of migration law and procedure. The Office of the MARA approves continuing professional development activities and monitors the conduct of agents both in and outside Australia to ensure that only the highest level of advice and assistance is provided to prospective applicants. 

What subclasses of this type of visa exist?

Spouse/de-facto - visa subclasses 100/309
Emphasis is placed on your relationship history which demonstrates a commitment to sharing a common residence and level of mutual support and co-operation in financial, social and domestic matters with your sponsor.

Prospective Marriage - visa subclass 300
You can apply for a Prospective Marriage visa if you are engaged to be married and are planning to marry your fiancé/sponsor within 9 months from the date of the grant of the visa. You can marry in or outside Australia but must travel to Australia before you marry.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship - visa subclass 461
This visa allows a partner of a New Zealand Citizen who is not an eligible New Zealand Citizen to live and work in Australia for up to five years.

How much does it cost to apply for a Partner visa for Australia?

The Department of Home Affairs charge a fee of AUD7, 000 to submit an application for a partner visa. You will also have to pay for health and character checks and if applicable arrange for documents to be translated into English. Concept Australia’s fees are charged in stages as we undertake the work on your behalf which in total are in the region of £900.00.  

How long will it take for my visa to be granted?

Although in the last programme year (July 2017 - June 2018) most applications processed at the Australian High Commission in London were decided within 6 months, we have been advised that applications lodged in the current programme year are expected to take between 10 - 14 months to be finalised. The new processing timetable is roughly in line with global processing times which is due to an increase in the number of applications being processed and the level of staff available at the Australian High Commission.

Preliminary assessment of your eligibility

Concept Australia can offer you a preliminary assessment and advise you in plain English whether you have a realistic chance of being granted a partner visa to reside in Australia.
If you would like to know how we can assist you in obtaining your partner/spouse visa, please telephone your nearest Concept Australia office (London 020 8468 1076) or (Manchester 0161 669 5836) or complete the Enquiry form below and submit your details to Concept Australia.

Personal, SKYPE or telephone consultations

If we have assessed that you have the potential to be granted a visa and you would like to find out more, the next step is to arrange a no-obligation consultation which will not only provide you with an opportunity to ask key questions about the visa process but also enable us to explain how the migration regulations will be applied to you. A small fee is charged for the consultation which will be deducted from our overall fee should you decide to appoint Concept Australia as your migration agent. Consultations are conducted in our offices located in the London borough of Bromley or Manchester but if you are unable to travel to see us, we can arrange a SKYPE or telephone appointment at a mutually convenient time.



> Make an Enquiry

What visa options are there?

Choose the best option for you:



How long will it take to process my Partner application at Australia House, London?

There has been a 30% fall in the number of Partner applications being lodged at Australia House in London which has resulted in a reduction in the processing timetable to approximately 6 months compared to 24 months if an application is  lodged in Australia. Most applications are assessed after approximately 1 - 2 months and providing accurate and relevant relationship documents have been provided, case officers will inform applicants that only health and character checks are outstanding.

Should I register my child as an Australian Citizen?

Children born overseas and whose parent is an Australian citizen are eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by descent. If, however, you became an Australian citizen by descent, you must have been present in Australia for periods totalling two years at some time in your life in order for your child to apply for citizenship.

If your child is granted Australian citizenship by descent he/she should apply for an Australian passport. The benefit of travelling to Australia on an Australian passport will mean that your child will not be applying to migrate and will not require health checks. As the sponsor you also will not need to arrange character checks.

Concept Australia provides advice and assistance on citizenship requirements and offers a reduced fee for its clients wishing to register their children as Australian citizens.

What evidence do I need to provide in support of my relationship?

The DIBP requires both the applicant and sponsor to present evidence that they have a commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of others. This is normally demonstrated by sharing a common residence and evidencing a level of mutual support and co-operation throughout the history of your relationship. Emphasis is placed on presenting evidence on the financial aspects of the relationship, the nature of the household, the social context of the relationship and the nature of commitment to each other.

The amount of evidence you provide will be determined by your personal circumstances and will vary considerably depending on the duration of the relationship. Many applicants present far too many documents and waste time, energy and money gathering evidence which will be discarded by DIBP case officers. Concept Australia will assess the history of your relationship and advise you which documents carry more weight.

What are the benefits of using a MARA registered migration agent?

The decision to engage a migration agent is a personal choice which will depend on the complexity of your visa application and whether you are confident that you have fully understood all the rules and regulations which will be applied to your case.

If you do need assistance with the visa process, the DIBP strongly recommend that you appoint an agent who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). A registered migration agent must satisfy a strict code of conduct and:

  • maintain current knowledge of migration law and procedure
  • keep a professional library with direct access to migration regulations via Legend
  • undertake continuous professional development in order to maintain knowledge of migration regulations and policy


An agent who is not registered with MARA cannot offer you any legal protection and is not accountable for his/her actions and therefore might:

  • make false claims about your chances of success
  • give you incorrect advice
  • have limited knowledge about current Australian visa legislation and procedures
  • increase your risk of being exposed to migration fraud
  • charge fees which are unreasonable and excessive.
What is an eligible New Zealand citizen?

An eligible New Zealand citizen is a New Zealand citizen who was living in Australia on 26 February 2001 for at least one year in the 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001.


Can I apply for a Partner visa if I only recently married?

To be eligible for a partner visa, it is not sufficient for you to simply show that you are married. You must also demonstrate that your relationship with your spouse is genuine, continuing and mutually exclusive. If you fail to demonstrate that you are in such a relationship you may be a refused a visa regardless of whether you are married.

If for example you married your partner within a month or two of the relationship commencing and then applied for a visa, you can expect your application to come under close scrutiny. If, however, your relationship developed over a period of time and you can present evidence which dates back to when you first met leading to your engagement and subsequent marriage, your application is likely to receive favourable consideration.


Partner Enquiry Form

If you are considering applying for a Partner visa for Australia, please complete all questions and ensure you provide your full address or post code. The information you provide will be treated in confidence and will not be stored onto a data-base or distributed to third parties.




Sponsorship reforms planned for Partner visa applicants

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) is planning to introduce reforms that seeks to increase the obligations on sponsors of Partner and Prospective Marriage applicants.  


What our clients are saying

Thank you for all your help we are hopefully moving permanently to Oz at the end of the year.