Employer Nominations

If you have been offered a permanent job in Australia, there are two main visa classes to choose from, both of which require you to be nominated by an employer in Australia. 

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) - visa subclass 186

This visa class has 3 streams:

The Direct Entry Stream - for people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia.

The Temporary Residence Transition Stream is for visa holders whose occupation is on the MLTSSL and who have worked for 3 years in Australia with the same employer and their employer wants to offer them a permanent position. If you were granted a 457 visa after 18 April 2017 or you are applying for a Temporary Skills Shortage visa (subclass 482) and your occupation is on the STSOL you will not be able to apply for permanent residence via sub-classes 186 or 187.

The Agreement Stream - for people sponsored by an employer through a labour or regional migration agreement.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) - visa subclass 187

This visa class allows employers located in regional Australia to sponsor skilled employees to live and work in regional Australia (anywhere except the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney, Wollongong, Newcastle and Melbourne). The visa class also has 3 streams (see subclass 186).

Age requirements and exemptions ENS and RSMS

You must generally be less than 45 years of age. Exemptions are, however, available to applicants who meet any of the following:

  • You are nominated as a senior academic by a University in Australia (Temporary Residence Transition and Direct Entry Streams;


  • You are nominated as a scientist, researcher or Technical (scientific) specialist at ANZSCO skill level 1 or 2 by an Australian government scientific agency (Temporary Residence Transition and Direct Entry Streams);


  • You are applying through the Temporary Residence Transition stream and have been working for your nominating employer as the holder of a TSS or subclass 457 visa for the last 3 years and your earnings were at least  equivalent to the Fair Work High Income Threshold for each year over that period;


  • You are a medical Practitioner (Temporary Residence Transition stream) and you have been working as the holder of a TSS or subclass 457 visa for 3 years immediately before applying you have been employed in your nominated occupation in regional Australia for 2 years;


  • You hold a special category visa  (subclass 444) or New Zealand citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) and you have been working for the employer who nominated you for at least 2 years in the last 3 years immediately before applying (Direct Entry Stream only)


  • You are applying through the Labour agreement stream and the relevant labour agreement allows for a person who has turned 45 to be employed

General criteria

Generally applicants will need to:

  • Be sponsored or nominated by an approved employer;
  • Be younger than 45 years of age unless exemptions apply;
  • Nominate a position on the MLTSSL;
  • Nominate a position classified at skill level 1 - 3 within ANZSCO (RSMS only);
  • Provide a satisfactory skills assessment (Direct Entry Stream only);
  • Demonstrate, if applicable, registration, licensing or professional membership in Australia;
  • 3 years post qualification employment in nominated occupation (Direct Entry Stream only);
  • Meet English language requirements;

Services provided by Concept Australia

  • Advice on whether your skills have the potential to be recognised
  • Liaison with your employer regarding nomination procedures
  • Completion of nomination and visa forms
  • Management of your application throughout the visa process

Preliminary assessment

If you have started to research your visa options but need further advice or information on what to do next, Concept Australia will advise you whether you have a realistic chance of being granted an ENS or RSMS  visa to reside permanently in Australia.

Please telephone 020 8468 1076 or click on the Enquiry form below and submit your details to us.


> Make an Enquiry

What visa options are there?

Choose the best option for you:



Can anybody in any occupation be sponsored by an employer to Australia?

No, all companies must nominate a skilled applicant in an occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government.  The lists of eligible occupations are called the Skilled Occupation Lists.  Please contact Concept Australia to confirm whether the occupation you intend to nominate is included on the Skilled Occupation Lists.


How do I know whether I have the right skill requirements to be sponsored?

In order for the company to sponsor an applicant under the Employer Nomination Scheme or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, you must show that you have the skills and experience necessary to work in the nominated occupation. Concept Australia will provide you with a list of evidence that you can provide in order to support your application. 


Will I need a skills assessment for an Employer Sponsored visa?

If applying under the Temporary Residence Transition stream you will not be required to have your skills assessed but you must have worked for the employer that is nominating you for a period of three years.  If you are applying under the Direct Entry stream you will be required to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority unless you meet special exemption requirements.  If you are applying through the Agreement stream then you must meet the skills requirements stated in the agreement.


Will I need to get registration or licensing before I arrive?

If requested by your visa processing case officer, you must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that you hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation.  


Do I need to undertake an English language test?

It is important that you can speak, write and understand a sufficient level of English while you are in Australia.  You must achieve the required minimum test scores in a specified English language test either for the Temporary Residence Transition stream or the Direct Entry stream that has been conducted within three years immediate prior to the date of application lodgement.  Alternative, you do not have to undertake an English Language test if you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and evidence that you are a citizen of that country.  There are some exemptions to this requirement. Please contact Concept Australia for further information.


Do I have to undertake a medical?

All applicants must undertake health examinations with an approved Panel Doctor to meet certain health requirements to be granted a permanent residence visa.Health checks comprise of an x-ray, HIV test and medical examination.


Can I still get a visa if I have a criminal conviction?

You must meet certain character requirements to be able to be granted a visa for Australia.  If you have a criminal conviction, you must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. You will also be required to present a statement addressing your conviction history and in particular the mitigating circumstances and the steps you have taken to rehabilitate yourself.. You should not obtain police certificates unless Concept Australia ask you to.


Can I include my family members in my visa application?

Yes, you can include your partner, your or your partner’s dependent children and other dependent relatives.  These family members must meet certain requirements including health and character. 


What are the benefits of using a MARA registered migration agent?

The decision to engage a migration agent is a personal choice which will depend on the complexity of your visa application and whether you are confident that you have fully understood all the rules and regulations which will be applied to your case.

If you do need assistance with the visa process, the Department of Home Affairs strongly recommend that you appoint an agent who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). A registered migration agent must satisfy a strict code of conduct and:

  • maintain current knowledge of migration law and procedure
  • keep a professional library with direct access to migration regulations via Legend
  • undertake continuous professional development in order to maintain knowledge of migration regulations and policy


An agent who is not registered with MARA cannot offer you any legal protection and is not accountable for his/her actions and therefore might:

  • make false claims about your chances of success
  • give you incorrect advice
  • have limited knowledge about current Australian visa legislation and procedures
  • increase your risk of being exposed to migration fraud
  • charge fees which are unreasonable and excessive.



Employer Nomination Enquiry Form

If you have been offered permanent employment in Australia, please complete and submit the form below. The information you provide will be treated in confidence and will not be stored onto a data-base or distributed to third parties.

Concept Australia will contact you to discuss your circumstances and to explain the visa process together with costs for submitting an application for an Employer Nomination or Regional Sponsored Migration visa for Australia.




SkillSelect – Invitation rounds

SkillSelect first allocates available places to Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) visas and then remaining to Skilled – Regional...


What our clients are saying

We are over the moon!!! - Thank you so very much for everything, you have helped make our lives even more wonderful!