Investor Retirement Visas Australia

Investor Retirement - visa subclass 405

The Investor Retirement visa is available to applicants who are able to make a designated investment in a Treasury Corporation in Australia for a period of 4 years. Additionally, you must present evidence of regular annual income which can be sourced from interest accrued from the designated investment as well as pensions and other investments.

Basic criteria:

  • Primary applicant must be aged 55 or over
  • Not have any dependent children or other dependent family members
  • Be sponsored by an Australian state or territory government
  • Meet health and character requirements
  • Not engage in employment for more than 20 hours per week
  • Maintain private health insurance

Financial Criteria

Your financial circumstances will influence where you reside in Australia.

Regional - low growth area of Australia

You must be able to evidence net assets of A$1 million and make a designated investment of A$500,000 plus have a net annual income of A$50,000.

Non - regional area of Australia

You must be able to evidence net assets of A$1.5 million and make a designated investment of A$750,000 plus have a net annual income of A$65,000.

Renewing your investor Retirement visa(s) in Australia

You or you and your spouse can apply for further Investor Retirement visas providing you:

  • Hold or have previously held an Investor Retirement visa
  • Maintained the previous Designated Investment for the entire period of 4 years
  • Are again sponsored by an Australian state or territory government
  • Continue to have no dependent children or other dependent family members
  • Continue to maintain net annual income
  • Make a new designated investment of A$250,000 (regional) or A$500,000 (non-regional)
  • Have previously held and continue to hold adequate health insurance cover

Services provided by Concept Australia

  • Initial assessment to advise on your potential eligibility and settlement options
  • Assistance with the structure of your assets and income
  • If applicable, liaise with your financial adviser
  • Complete your application for state/territory sponsorship approval
  • Complete and submit your visa application form to the Department of Home Affairs
  • Management of your application until your Investor Retirement visa is decided.

Free preliminary assessment

If you have started to research your visa options but are confused or having difficulty in deciding how to proceed, then we can help you. Concept Australia will offer you a free preliminary assessment of your potential eligibility and advise you in plain English whether you have a realistic chance of being granted a visa to reside in Australia.

Please telephone 020 8468 1076 or click on the Enquiry form below and submit your details to us.



> Make an Enquiry

What visa options are there?

Choose the best option for you:



Can I purchase property in Australia?

Second-hand properties

Temporary residents may acquire one established (second-hand) property only for use as their own residence in Australia. Approval must be obtained from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) which usually is granted subject to conditions (such as, the owner sells the property when it ceases to be their residence). Temporary residents are not permitted to buy established dwellings as investment properties.

New Dwellings

 A ‘new dwelling’ is a dwelling which is being purchased directly from the developer and has not been previously occupied for more than 12 months in total. Temporary residents need to apply to the FIRB to buy new dwellings in Australia which are normally approved without conditions.

Vacant Land

 Temporary residents must also apply to the FIRB to purchase vacant land for residential development. These applications are normally approved subject to conditions (such as, that ongoing construction begins within 24 months).

How can I apply for another Investor Retirement visa?

You or you and your spouse can apply for a further Investor Retirement visas if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are again sponsored by an Australian State or Territory government.
  • You maintained your previous Designated Investment for the entire period of 4 years.
  • You have no dependent children or other dependent family members.
  • You continue to maintain net income of AUD 50,000 (regional) or AUD65,000 (non-regional).
  • You make a further designated investment of AUD250,000 (regional) or AUD500,000 (non-regional).
  • You have held and continue to hold adequate health insurance.
Can I work in Australia?

Yes, you are able to work in Australia for a maximum of 20 hours each week.


Will I have access to Medicare?

No, and therefore you must present evidence that you and your partner hold an adequate health insurance package (preferably with an Australian insurer) for the period of your intended stay in Australia. The policy must be fully comprehensive and provide coverage that is at least equivalent to Medicare (including coverage of 85 per cent of costs for hospital, emergency, and general practitioner services) plus coverage for pharmaceuticals.


Can I sponsor a relative?

No, as the visa granted is Temporary, you are not permitted to sponsor relatives


What are the benefits of using a MARA registered migration agent?

The decision to engage a migration agent is a personal choice which will depend on the complexity of your visa application and whether you are confident that you have fully understood all the rules and regulations which will be applied to your case.

If you do need assistance with the visa process, the DIBP strongly recommend that you appoint an agent who is registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). A registered migration agent must satisfy a strict code of conduct and:

  • maintain current knowledge of migration law and procedure
  • keep a professional library with direct access to migration regulations via Legend
  • undertake continuous professional development in order to maintain knowledge of migration regulations and policy

A person who is not registered with MARA cannot offer you any legal protection and is not accountable for his/her actions and therefore might:

  • make false claims about your chances of success
  • give you incorrect advice
  • have limited knowledge about current Australian visa legislation and procedures
  • increase your risk of being exposed to migration fraud
  • charge fees which are unreasonable and excessive.
How long will it take to process an Investor Retirement visa?

The processing timetable will vary depending on which state or territory you have chosen to retire to in Australia. Once the sponsorship has been approved by the state or territory government. your application will usually be decided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection within 2 - 3 months of lodgement.


Can I be in Australia when I lodge my application?

Yes, but if you are in Australia when your application is lodged you must also be in Australia when your visa is granted. Similarly, if you are outside Australia when your application is lodged, you must be outside Australia when your visa is granted.


Investor Retirement Enquiry Form

If you are considering applying for an Investor Retirement visa for Australia, please complete and submit the form below. The information you provide will be treated in confidence and will not be stored onto a data-base or distributed to third parties.

Concept Australia will contact you to discuss your circumstances and to explain the visa process together with costs for submitting an application for an Investment Retirement visa for Australia.




New age limit for Skilled applicants

General Skilled Migration applicants must be under 45 years of age


What our clients are saying

We are over the moon!!! - Thank you so very much for everything, you have helped make our lives even more wonderful!